Saturday 20 April 2013

Well bloody hell, a week has just flown by, I have been meaning to update with you guys but time got the better of me.

I have been trying to sell a motorcycle to buy a car and am a bit disappointed that it hasn't gone yet. Getting older is not conducive to pre dawn rides to the coast to make sunrise photographs, throwing my gear in a car with climate control and heading off seems a much more sensible proposition. I have also been toying with the idea that I could take a few people to shoot and help them out with techniques etc, obviously there would be a small fee for this but hey, you get to go to an amazing scene with a group of like minded people and make photographs you won't get laying in bed. Sound good? If you think so get in touch.

I have been getting a few more interested parties for "The Collectors" series, Jon Newey was up first and photographed on Monday. I told my tale of woe and failing kit last time. This time it went much better and my Lencarta performed perfectly.....


The next day (Tuesday) I was very pleased it was warm and headed off to Southend to meet Soloman Kaine, a beat producer and generally creative guy. He was a pleasure to meet and photograph, also came up with a great suggestion which I will talk about another time. I haven't finished editing the shots of Soloman yet so not settled on the final just yet, here is one I like from the shoot...


I will be running through the rest in a bit so may post the final choice somewhere in the near future.

Last time I said I was going to tell you about an interesting project I have found myself involved with. A friend suggested that I was approached as a reference for a screen play being written. Lamiya, who is producing this work is wondering whether glaucoma is hereditary. Two of her family have suffered from this affliction which ultimately results in blindness. She thought about which areas rely on sight and who would probably struggle the most with loosing theirs, deciding eventually to have her main character be a young photographer. Now I am not so young any more, but my friend suggested me as she thinks I am a "great photographer" (her words, not mine but hey gotta love that!). I agreed and so she could get an idea of the process Lamiya booked a portrait session with me. I am not sure she really knew what she was getting into and had a slight look of overwhelmed bewilderment as I started to explain apperture stops, shutter speeds and iso, rangefinders, dslr's, medium format and view cameras. Hahaha, maybe I threw too much at her to start with, I have thought more about it and will hopefully tailor the information in a more selective way for her needs. Her character, after all only needs to be believable and sound correct, she doesn't need to know everything to make this happen.

It is surprising how much knowledge on a subject one takes for granted until trying to explain to someone else. thinking about this makes me wonder why people are so reluctant to recognise that as a pro photographer we have learned a trade much like a plumber or a mechanic. Nobody questions paying for their learned knowledge and services, why then does it seem different for photographers? Does anybody ever think because they have a good set of tools they must be an expert at something, like buying an expensive dslr and thinking you can make great photographs. I don't need expensive kit to make great photographs, I have knowledge of light and understanding of technique and process that has been learned and practised as I continually strive toward perfection. I don't think I will ever feel I have perfected my photography but that is what drives me to keep pushing, experimenting and learning. When you are thinking is it worth getting a photographer, the answer is invariably yes if you want a good result. Be sure to check before you book, make sure the photographer you are thinking about can produce consistent work, ask for references or read the testimonials on their website, just like every trade some are better than others, some are more talk than substance and styles vary. Find one you like and you won't ever regret it, we are a generally good bunch, enthusiastic about what we do and the subjects we photograph.

I am sorry, this has gone on a bit and is a touch text heavy again, to finish on a brighter note, here is a shot I have had in mind for a couple of years, finally got around to getting over to shoot it, I hope you enjoy.....


One last thing, I have been toying with the idea of doing some markets this summer for my landscapes, any feed back would be appreciated.

As ever please spread the word, if you need anything photographing or wish to order any of my prints please  feel free to get in touch. In the mean time just share and don't forget to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment